Getting your story featured on the local news can provide your brand or businesswith valuable exposure and reach within your community. While it may seem challenging, there are effective strategies you can employ to increase your chances of getting local press coverage. Let's look at five key tips on how to get on local newsand maximize your media exposure but let's first take a look at its importance.
Local press coverage is a powerful tool for businesses and organizations of all sizes. It not only helps increase brand visibility but also establishes trust and credibility among the local community. By getting featured on the local news, you can:
- Reach a targeted local audience- Local news outlets have a dedicated audience that is interested in community stories and events. This targeted exposure can lead to increased awareness and support for your brand.
- Enhance brand reputation- Being featured on the local news positions your brand as an authority and trusted resource within your community. It helps build credibility and fosters positive perceptions among potential customers.
- Drive traffic and sales- Local press coverage can drive traffic to your website or physical store, resulting in increased sales and businessgrowth.
- Strengthen community relationships - When your story is highlighted by local news outlets, it fosters a sense of community engagementand connection. It helps you build relationships with customers, other businesses, and community organizations.
- Stand out from the competition- Local press coverage sets you apart from competitors who may not have the same level of exposure. It provides a competitive edge and distinguishes your brand in the local market.
Now that we understand the importance of local press coverage, let's explore the steps to get on the local news and maximize your media exposure.
A well-crafted press release is essential for capturing the attention of journalists and news outlets. Start by identifying a newsworthy angle that is relevant to your brand or business. This could be the launch of a new product or service, a community initiative, a notable achievement, or an event.
When writing your press release, consider the following elements:
- Headline - Create a captivating headline that grabs attention and summarizes the main point of your story.
- Newsworthy angle- Clearly define the angle or hook of your story. What makes it unique, timely, or interesting to the local community?
- Key information- Include essential details such as the who, what, when, where, and why of your story. Provide concise and factual information.
- Quotes- Incorporate quotes from key individuals within your organization or community to add credibility and human interest to your story.
- Contact information- Include the contact details of a media representative who can provide further information or arrange interviews.
Remember to keep your press release concise, informative, and free of jargon. Write in a professional tone and proofread it carefully to ensure accuracy.
Researching and identifying local media outletsis crucial for getting your story in front of the right audience. Start by compiling a list of relevant newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, and online publications in your local area.
Consider the following factors when selecting media outlets:
- Audience- Identify outlets that cater to your target audience. Research their readership, viewership, or listenership demographics to ensure alignment with your brand or business.
- Coverage area - Choose outlets that have a significant presence in your local community. Look for publications or stations that specifically focus on local news and events.
- Journalists and reporters- Research journalists and reporters who cover topics related to your story. Familiarize yourself with their work and areas of interest to tailor your pitches effectively.
By understanding the media landscape in your area, you can develop a targeted approach to reach out to the right journalists and news outlets.
Establishing relationships with journalists and reporters is essential for gaining local press coverage. Building rapport and trust takes time, but it can significantly increase your chances of getting your story noticed. Consider the following strategies:
- Research and personalize - Before reaching out, research the journalists you plan to contact. Familiarize yourself with their recent work and interests. Personalize your pitches to demonstrate that you've done your homework and understand their beat.
- Connect on social media- Follow journalists on social media platforms like Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook. Engage with their contentby sharing, liking, or commenting on their articles or posts. This helps you build familiarity and show genuine interest in their work.
- Attend industry events- Attend local networking events, conferences, or seminars where journalists may be present. Take the opportunity to introduce yourself, exchange contact information, and discuss potential story ideas.
- Provide value - Offer journalists relevant and timely information that goes beyond your own self-promotion. Share industry insights, local trends, or expert opinions that can help them with their reporting.
- Maintain professionalism- Be responsive, reliable, and respectful in your interactions with journalists. Honor deadlines, provide accurate information, and be available for interviews or follow-up inquiries.
By nurturing relationships with local journalists, you increase your chances of being top-of-mind when they are looking for a story or source.
How to Get a Story in the Local News
Participating in community events and supporting local causes can help generate local press coverage. By aligning your brand with community initiatives, you demonstrate your commitment to the local area and provide journalists with compelling stories.
Consider the following strategies:
- Sponsorships and partnerships- Support local events, charities, or organizations through sponsorships or partnerships. This allows you to actively participate in community initiatives and provides opportunities for media coverage.
- Community involvement- Volunteer or participate in community events, fundraisers, or local projects. This not only contributes to the betterment of your community but also creates newsworthy stories that local media outlets may be interested in covering.
- Expert contributions- Position yourself or members of your organization as experts in your field. Offer to speak at local events or provide insights and commentary on relevant topics to local journalists. This positions you as a valuable resource and increases your chances of media coverage.
- Collaborations with influencers- Identify local influencers or community figures who align with your brand values. Collaborate with them on projects, events, or initiatives that can generate media interest. Their involvement can attract attention from local news outlets.
By actively engaging with community events and causes, you demonstrate your commitment to the local area and increase your visibility within the community.
In today's digital age, online platforms and social media play a crucial role in getting your story on the local news. Here are some strategies to leverage these channels effectively:
- Create shareable content- Develop compelling and shareable content that resonates with your local audience. This could include blog posts, videos, infographics, or case studies. Share this content on your website and social media platforms to generate interest and engagement.
- Engage with local news outlets - Follow and engage with local news outlets on social media. Share their stories, comment on their posts, and tag them when relevant. This helps to build rapport and increases the likelihood of them noticing your brand.
- Utilize hashtags and geotags- Use relevant local hashtags and geotags in your social media posts. This helps your content reach a wider local audience and increases the chances of local news outlets discovering your brand.
- Collaborate with local influencers - Identify local influencers or micro-influencers who have a strong presence in your community. Collaborate with them to promote your brand or story on their social media platforms. Their followers are likely to be local residents who could be potential customers or supporters.
- Monitor and respond- Stay vigilant about social media conversations related to your brand or industry in the local community. Monitor mentions, tags, and comments, and respond promptly to engage with your audience and address any inquiries or feedback.
By leveraging online platforms and social media, you can expand the reach of your story, connect with local news outlets, and capture the interest of a broader audience.
To secure coverage on local news, here are ten effective approaches:
- Conduct thorough research.
- Build a network of contacts in the local media industry.
- Approach local journalists directly to pitch your story or idea.
- Provide interesting and relevant stories to reporters.
- Develop the skill to write press releases that are newsworthy.
- Capitalize on natural opportunities for public relations.
- Create your own opportunities for public relations.
- Engage actively in the local community.
- Establish relationships with community influencers.
- Utilize social media platforms to connect with local news outlets and reporters.
To increase the chances of getting your story covered by the news, follow these steps:
- Build a targeted media listto focus on specific outlets that align with your story. Starting small can sometimes lead to bigger opportunities.
- Identify the reporters who specialize in covering topics related to your story. There's a good chance someone is already reporting on the subject.
- Create a comprehensive press kittailored for reporters and producers, providing them with all the necessary information about your story.
- Find a compelling news hook that makes your story unique and interesting to journalists.
- Plan ahead and anticipate relevant events or trends that can enhance the relevance and timeliness of your story. This proactive approach increases the likelihood of media coverage.
To receive local news on your phone, follow these steps:
1. Launch the Google News app on your phone.
2. Tap on the "Following" tab located at the bottom of the screen.
3. Under the "Local" section, tap on "View all and manage."
4. In this menu, you have the following options:
- Add a city - Use the search function to find and select a city of your interest. Tap "Follow" next to it.
- Access more stories about your favorite city- Tap "More" next to a city to explore additional news content.
- Set a city as your primary- Choose a city to set it as your primary location for local news updates.
To report a story to the local news anonymously, consider utilizing a public mailbox instead of a post office. Additionally, omit including a return address on the outside of the envelope. By following these steps, you can help maintain your anonymity when reporting a story to the local news.
Knowing how toget on local news requires a strategic approach and consistent effort. By crafting a compelling press release, identifying relevant media outlets, building relationships with local journalists, engaging with community events and causes, and utilizing online platforms and social media, you can increase your chances of getting featured on the local news.
Remember to tailor your approach to fit your unique circumstances, stay persistent in your efforts, and be prepared to adapt your strategy based on feedback and opportunities. With dedication and effective execution, you can enhance your brand visibility, establish valuable connections within your community, and gain the local press coverage your business deserves.